Thursday, May 14, 2009

My time at The YMCA




For the past two years I have worked at the YMCA Buffalo Niagara. Here I have done many of things. I was a strength instructor for the first year and this previous year I became a personal trainer. I am also a Growing Up Fit instructor. Growing Up Fit is an innovative weight management program for children ages 7-15 years old and their families. It consists of an initial week of pre-testing, 8 weeks of education and exercise and a final week of post testing. I have also volunteered at many of the Teen Nights hosted by the YMCA with my recent one being back in April. I really enjoy going to the teen nights and spending time with the kids. We play basketball, go swimming, go lift weights in the free weight area, and do many other fun things. I have built some strong relationships with some of the kids and I look forward to going back every time. It's interesting how all the different things I do at the YMCA relate to being a physical educator and to the New York State Physical Education Standards. As a personal trainer I am demonstrating standard 1b by showing my clients how to design personal fitness programs to improve cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Being a Growing Up Fit instructor and a physical educator go hand in hand together. As a Growing Up Fit instructor I am showing kids the skills to establish and maintain physical fitness and maintain personal health. I'm providing them with a safe environment and providing them personal and community resources where they could engage in physical activity. I look forward to continuing my work at the YMCA and building strong relationships with the people there.

No comments: