Friday, January 23, 2009

Getting back into the swing of things..

It is the first day of the spring semester of my junior year here at Cortland and I got right back into the swing of things. It my 255 class I had to teach my fellow students how to perform a certain skill pretaining to football. My instructor video taped me teaching and it was interesting to see my performance. After watching the tape a few times, I realized I have some things I need to improve on. Instead of going over the skill step by step, I dimenstrated what to do and then had the students jump right into the activity which was a mistake. I seen that some of the students looked confused on some of the steps involved in completing the task. What I should have done was have the students perform each step before performing the whole skill and give them feedback and answer any questions they might have had. Also, I only had each student perform the task once which really didn't benefit them. I should have had them perform it at least two or three times so they would get it down right and with repetition they have a better chance of remembering how to perform the task properly. Now that I have seen what I need to improve on it will help me in the process of becoming a good physical education teacher.

1 comment:

Exergame Lab said...

Matt,
Although I see your point, I don't necessarily think that it was a bad thing to have them move right away. We'll discuss this more in class. Well done.